Thursday, December 30, 2010

Makeover surprise!

Ok.  So I finally tore my lower cases apart today.  It went pretty well.  I had a horrible leak and would spray Bones with oil every time we rode.  So, I decided to split the cases and really explore my motor.  A friend once told me that his friend told him, that his dad said "if you have never turned a wrench on it, then it isn't yours.  I agree so, I am making this bike mine once and for all.  The man I bought this bike from got it from his dead brother.  The rumor was that this bike was bought brand new in 1978, ridden 500 miles and torn apart for a complete rebuild.  I was also told that the motor work was done by one of the top drag fuel racers in Indiana.  I was kind of skeptical about that.  Well, needless to say when I got her all apart I found a few interesting things.  The inside of the cases were milled flat and polished, the scrapers in the flywheel compartment were beefed up, the tranny housing was ground down to allow for more gear clearance, and I found this interesting wire mesh netting screwed into the bottom of the cases. All of this stuff is done for race applications.  I also discovered that there are Andrew's PB+ cams in the thing.  I guess the guy was telling me the truth.  With .50 over pistons and roller rockers (i know they don't make these for ironheads)  this bitch is pretty fast.  I just need the right carb and I'm good to go.

However, I did run into a problem.  The motor mount studs were all busted off in the left side of the case.  After some work on the Bridgeport by Lance down at Diggers Speed Shop, we got the old studs out.  Now I have a few things I need welded on the cases and then we can put the new motor mount studs in.  After that, the cases will go together and then the top end and then the KR replica bolt on hardtail I'm going to order from Sporty Parts.  She will be a pretty good looker and runner by spring.  I'll keep everyone updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment